Something in Your Heart
Wants to Know
"Guru Maharaj Ji invites the people who have
received this Knowledge to accompany Him in
the adventure of revealing this Truth, reveal-
ing this Knowledge to the whole world."
Guru Maharaj Ji
November 18, 1976
THIS BROCHURE IS FOR THE WASHINGTON, D.C. COMMUNITY.
IT IS DESIGNED TO HELP YOU UNDERSTAND YOUR PART IN
THIS ADVENTURE OF BRINGING KNOWLEDGE TO THE WORLD.
"The first and foremost thing that we have to understand
is: What are we trying to do? And what
we are trying to do is to spread this Knowledge,
is to spread this Grace, is to spread this Word."
Guru Maharaj Ji
Rome, Italy, 1977
Excerpts from a letter from Ira Woods…
When we focus our lives on Guru Maharaj Ji, automatically we must merge into His purpose, because He is one with His purpose. His purpose becomes our purpose because he has created love and devotion inside of us for Him. And that really goes for every premie. For propagation to really happen, we all must feel that same inspiration to be servants of the Perfect Lord. He has offered us the greatest of all opportunities to merge in Him and actually become one with Him. When we remember what it is that Guru Maharaj Ji wants done, and we ourselves are involved in meditation and satsang, then all our service takes on a meaning, it has direction, and then so much Grace surround us.
So much of what we do is for ourselves, always forgetting that there are so many other brothers and sisters who in their hearts are dying to experience their Lord just as we are. Maybe we can say that we don't care about them, but I never hear Guru Maharaj Ji say that. Recently He told us that the public is, in fact, His potential premies. And still we forget the purpose of Guru Maharaj Ji's mission to bring the Holy Word to all the brothers and sisters of this world.
During the week of June 17 through June 23 there will be a
series of public programs in the communities which Guru
Maharaj Ji selected just after Holi (Los Angeles, Denver,
New York, Washington, D.C., Philadelphia and Miami).
- During the weeks of June 1-15 and June 24-29, introductory programs will be held three times a week at the community center. There will be programs Tuesday and Friday nights at 8:00 p.m. As a response to Guru Maharaj Ji's suggestion to hold afternoon programs, there will also be a program every Sunday afternoon at 3:00 p.m.
- During the week of June 17-23, public programs will be happening every night at the community center. There is a possibility that several of these programs will be held in a hotel instead of the community center. The details of this will be announced when information becomes available.
In order to make these programs effective - to let people know that Guru Maharaj Ji is here for them, there will be:
POSTERS put up by a postering team during the week of June 12-16 in some of the area stores and restaurants.
INVITATION CARDS will be available at the publications table or in the DUO office. These can be given to people you meet and with whom you have shared satsang.
ADVERTISING will occur during the week of June 15-23 in the form of newspaper ads and radio spots. The ads will be in The Washington Post, The Washington Star, The Advertiser, and maybe The Uptown Citizen. The radio spots will be aired on WAVA 105 FM, WLMD 900 AM, WHUR 953 FM, WTOP, and WJMD. An announcement will be made when more specific information about the times the spots will be aired is received.
FOLLOW-UP PROGRAMS will be available for newcomers interested in taking steps to receive Knowledge. Interested people can make an appointment with an initiator or come to any of the follow-up programs, the dates of which will be announced at the public programs. A premie will be seated at a table in the hall to sign up newcomers for interviews and to provide information about the follow-up programs.
"And it's like, if every premie, you know, really cooperated in their service and directed the service so that I can use it to spread this Knowledge into this world, I'll tell you before I'm 25 this whole world can have peace."
Guru Maharaj Ji
May 30, 1974
- Everyone is encouraged to bring a guest to the weekly introductory programs at the community center. In our community, 75% of the new people who came to the first series of programs were brought by premies.
- There is always the opportunity to support Guru Maharaj Ji by donating money to facilitate his purpose in the world. Expenses incurred during propagation are paid for solely through AMP and special donations for advertising. You may contribute by making direct donations, and/or participating in fundraising activities. For information about fundraising activities, contact Jim Sanders at 530-6596.
- There are many opportunities to serve by helping to prepare for and give public programs. Activities such as postering and cleaning and setting up the hall require many willing hearts. For information about how you can serve, please call Mary Logan at 6565822 (home) or 833-7578 (office).
- The new Light Reading magazine is requesting satsang, stories and articles written by premies. The material requested falls into the following categories:
- Satsang of an introductory nature;
- An article or story about an experience you've had as a premie or aspirant;
- An account of how you came to Knowledge;
- A relating of an experience you've had with Guru Maharaj Ji. (This doesn't necessarily have to be a direct experience. For example, it might be about the experience of first seeing Guru Maharaj Ji's picture.)
These pocket-size cards have quotes from Guru Maharaj Ji, location of public programs and the DLM telehone number where people may call for more information.
These brochures contain quotes of Guru Maharaj Ji and an introduction to Knowledge. These will be given free to guests only at introductory and public programs. Premies may buy them at the publication table on premie satsang nights for 25¢.
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS BROCHURE
These will contain the answers to questions that Guru Maharaj Ji gave for an article in Miami magazine. As of now they are available only to new people at the public programs.
This introductory magazine should be ready by the second series of programs.
The Follow ~ up
"We have to organize so many different people into one format, into one way. My example of our situation, what Divine Light Mission has to do for people, is that we are a clothing store, and this clothing store manufactures clothes and ready-made suits. But it has to manufacture its clothes in such a way that as soon as the buyer goes into the shop and picks up the suit, it fits him perfectly.
And you can imagine the problem involved in making a suit that will fit him perfectly the moment he puts it on. And yet this is what we have to do."
Guru Maharaj Ji
European Regional Conference
Essen, Germany, 1975
If you know of people who want to hear more about or receive Knowledge, here's what you may suggest:
- Someone interested in hearing more about Guru Maharaj Ji and the experience he reveals may come to introductory satsang on Tuesday night, Friday night and/or Sunday afternoon. At these programs initiators are available to answer questions, give satsang, and generally respond to a new person's needs.
- Someone who wants to become more involved or wants to take another step toward receiving Knowledge may make an appointment for satsang with an initiator. A premie will be stationed at a table to help schedule these appointments. They may also attend follow-up programs. More specific information about these programs will be announced at the public programs.
These things are set up to give every person that love and care Maharaj Ji gives us, and help each one to focus on him in an environment of satsang and service. Guru Maharaj Ji has a high standard of dedication for a person to receive Knowledge. To even begin to share with aspirants, we have to aspire for that complete dedication ourselves. We don't want to mislead them or lead them part way.
Quotes from Guru Maharaj Ji
"You see propagation; let's eliminate for instance what happens before and what happens after. To me, and I guess by the examples I give it quite proves it, to me propagation is that one moment, one second when you first meet that person and tell him about Knowledge. That is, to me, propagation. And in his heart, in that person's heart, either you can make the biggest barrier which will be the greatest mistake you ever make. And this is how serious it is. Because if that person does not receive Knowledge and does not find peace because of some stupid thing you did, then you are responsible for it; by all means you are responsible for it. Because you did it…"
"So when I put it this way I hope I make it quite clear how serious this matter is, and that it's just not a simple thing of you just going out and passing out leaflets or you just going out and just doing anything you want. It's a very, very serious thing."
Guru Maharaj Ji
Guru Puja Conference
Miami, Florida, 1977
"In service there has to be so much Grace, there has to be so much understanding, there has to be so much togetherness, there has to be so much oneness, there has to be so much sensitivity, and surrender that by all means that service that has been given to you, you will be able to accomplish it. And this is, you know, this is the understanding that we all have to have. And that kind of understanding doesn't come by me telling you, that understanding comes from within you, that understanding comes when you really see the need for that understanding then you really realize that you're lacking that in your life. Because there is a way to get it, and that way to get it is by satsang, service and meditation."
Guru Maharaj Ji
November 17, 1977
"But you just can't - it's just like we go back into that same thing where those satsangs were given, and it was like, you just can't, don't go up to a person and say look, you just dedicate everything you have and so on and so forth. But it has to be a real, clean approach, it has to be real - almost a perfect approach."
Guru Maharaj Ji
May 2, 1977
Any type of introductory material or ideas for propagation can be sent to:
DLM National Headquarters
Post Office Box 390959
Miami Beach, Florida 33139
ATTENTION: Ira Woods
Quotes and picture, © DLM 1979