In the mid 1970's Prem Rawat's followers - under instructions from their Lord of the Universe then known as Guru Maharaj Ji - tried to "professionalise" their organisation. As part of this process, people who were initiated (in the USA at least) were given "Knowledge Kits": similarly formatted handouts in a special foolscap size envelope which included:
- A copy of The Five Commandments of Guru Maharaj Ji
- A copy of the lyrics to "Arti", the hymn to Guru Maharaj Ji that was sung in the ashrams every day.
- A copy of You Are Disciples Now, a speech Rawat gave on October, 1971.
- A copy of a Personal Letter on "Receiving Knowledge" from Prem Rawat signed Sant Ji Maharaj.
- A copy of a Statutory Declaration to be signed by a parent or legal guardian of an underage person giving permission for said person
"to be instructed in the techniques of meditation, referred to as the 'Knowledge', by an officially designated Minister of Divine Light Mission".