Prem Rawat has been known by many names and titles since being acclaimed by his family and his father's followers as the Perfect Master or Satguru at the age of 8 on the death of his father and prior Perfect Master. When he came to Europe and America in 1971 he was mainly known as Guru Maharaj Ji or Guru Maharaj Ji or Maharaji. This was generally translated as Guru the "Revealer of Light" and Maharaji = "Great King" or loosely translated as "Lord of the Universe".
Since the mid 1980's he has preferred to be addressed as 'Maharaji' which he says means "Ultimate Ruler" which his internet sites state denotes affection and respect but it is certainly thought provoking that a minor public figure should decide to rename himself but keep the title of "Ultimate Ruler" as his preferred mode of address.
- Guru Maharaj Ji:Dispeller of darkness and revealer of light. Guru in Hindi can be loosely translated as 'Teacher', Maharaj as "Great King". Until the mid 1980's his disciples usually call him Guru Maharaj Ji, often shortened to Maharaji. Rawat gave his own translation: the Ultimate Ruler.
- Satguru: True dispeller of darkness and revealer of light.
- Perfect Master: English equivalent of Satguru. A Perfect Master is one who teaches the perfect Knowledge and love of God. Christ and Buddha were Perfect Masters in their own times.
- Balyogeshwar Paramhans Satgurudev Shri Sant Ji Maharaj. Balyogeshwar means Born Lord of Yogis. Paramhans means Highest Soul. Shri Sant Ji Maharaj indicates Prem Rawat who was called Sant (English = 'saint') when young as his father was known as Balyogeshwar Paramhans Satgurudev Shri Hans Ji Maharaj and called Hans (English = 'soul' or 'swan')
For reasons that are not clear, Prem Rawat has altered the terminology he uses to describe himself and his teachings and that he wishes his followers to use many times in the last 35 years. However the basic, underlying tenets of his public teaching have remained unchanged.
- His Knowledge is a method to contact the source of life within each human being
- There are four physical methods of contacting this Élan Vital in this Knowledge
- He is the only person able to reveal and empower his Knowledge and as such he is the unique Supreme Power
- There have been others who have had this unique power throughout human history and they include his father and Jesus Christ
- Despite their inherent capability, these techniques are useless without the student committing to Knowledge and maintaining a connection to him.
- The practice of this Knowledge results in Inner Peace and Joy independent of life's vicissitudes if a connection to him is maintained
- The appropriate mode of connection to him is worship and devotion
There are also some private teachings that are not given overtly but are learnt from other students indirectly or as events occur.
- Devotion to Prem Rawat is the most important and rewarding part of the practice of Knowledge
- Due to his position and the stress it causes Prem Rawat should have the greatest wealth and comfort and opulence possible
- Prem Rawat has the power to alter any of the preceding at any time
Now if you you claim to be the designated successor to your father who loudly and proudly called himself the divine Satguru and you are the unique inheritor of the eternal lineage of Perfect Masters who came before you and your role is the revealer of your Gift of the Knowledge of the source of Life, Peace and Inner Bliss to the world, then why be shy?