The Media at Millenium '73
It's only to be expected that when any person claims to be an incarnation of God, actively promotes himself as about to initiate 1,000 years of peace on earth, hires the largest hall on the planet and invites tens of thousands of followers to join him in unveiling the details there will be a certain degree of media attention.
However if your only plan is getting people to squeeze their eyes and ears, poke their tongues backwards, think about their breathing and worship you, then the press may change from skeptical to downright dismissive and rude. The Millenium '73 Festival produced the greatset quantity of publicity that Prem Rawat has ever received and it was all pretty well identical. Every article was derisory and ridiculed him as an incompetent phony and greedy buffoon though some reporters had a few nice things to say about some of his followers.
- Blissing Out in Houston - New York Review of Books, December 13, 1973
- What's Behind the 15-Year-Old Guru Maharaj Ji? - The Realist Magazine, December 1973, No 97-C
- Who is Guru Maharaj Ji and why is he saying all these terrible things about God? - Penthouse Magazine - January 1974 - Volume 5, Number 5
- God Goes to the Astrodome - Texas Monthly Magazine - January, 1974
- Goom Rodgie's Razzle-Dazzle Soul Rush - Saturday Review/World - 9th February, 1974
- Guru Blisses Out on Synthetic Grass - Crawdaddy Magazine - February 1974, page 62-65.
- Over the Hill at 16 - Ramparts Magazine - February 1974
- Jet Set God - Pageant Magazine - February 1974, Page 30-34
- When The Lord of All The Universe Played Houston - Rolling Stone Magazine - March 14, 1974
- Salvation Slapstick with the Guru Maharaj Ji - Creem Magazine - March 1974, page 37-39.
- The meditation boom: Will the Real Guru Please Sit Down - Psychic Dimensions Magazine - May 1974, page 10-11, 53-55.
- Who Was Maharaj Ji? - Oui Magazine - May 1974, page 90-133
- Death Of The Salesman - Playboy Magazine - June 1974
- I See The Light - Penthouse Magazine - July 1974
- MILLION DOLLAR RELIGION RIPOFF - Argosy Magazine - August, 1974
Some newspapers also had stories about Millenium '73.
- Maharaj Ji: The Selling of a Guru, 1973
- Houston's Version of Peace in Our Time
- Oz in the Astrodome The New York Times, December 9, 1973
- Destroyed hopes The New York Times, December 30, 1973