Prem Rawat (Maharaji) - 1973 Press Articles
In 1973 stories and advertisements began to increase rapidly. There are numerous newspaper articles about Prem Rawat posted here from 1973 when Rawat was 16 years old.
- The Mini Guru THE STARS AND STRIPES Saturday, February 3, 1973
- Guru's Pupil Slates Talks SYRACUSE POST STANDARD Sat., Feb. 3, 1973
- Divine Light Mission To Sponsor Talks Iowa City Press-Citizen - Wednesday, February 7, 1973
- 15-Year-Old Guru Teaches 'Perfectness' SYRACUSE POST-STANDARD, Mar. 10,1973
- Solons Honor Guru Maharaj Ji THE CAPITAL TIMES MADISON Wis., Friday, March 23, 1973
- Letter To The Editor - Perfect Master THE STARS AND STRIPES Thursday, March 29, 1973
- The New York Times published an indepth article and interview with the guru by a knowledgeable Indian journalist.
The Guru Business The New York Times, April 8, 1973
- More on 'The Guru Business' … The New York Times, April 29, 1973
- 'We try to lead a pure and simple life' DELAWARE COUNTY (PA.) DAILY TIMES Thursday, April 12, 1973
- Blissed Out, Hissed Out Berkely Barb, April 26, 1973 - a long story & interview in the "alternative press" by Ken Kelley
- What Is He - a Lord or an Incredible Fraud? THE CAPITAL TIMES Madison, Wis. Friday, April 27, 1973
- Radical Davis Says Salvation Attainable Through Maharaj Ji Harvard Crimson, May 2, 1973
- Young guru's followers found center in Edwardsville bungalow ALTON TELEGRAPH Saturday, May 5, 1973
- Rennie Davis, Antiwar Activist The New York Times May 6, 1973
- Rennie Davis and the Guru: Old Radicals Never Die--They Just Get Religion Harvard Crimson, June 4, 1973
- Gurus and Yogis and Meditators Bring Students Peace and Love Harvard Crimson, June 14, 1973
- The 'boy god' with a taste for ice cream Daily Mail, Thursday, July 12, 1973
- India Still Studying Goods Confiscated From Youthful Guru The New York Times, July 18, 1973
- Divine Light Festival To Have Strict Rules GREELEY (Colo.) TRIBUNE Wednesday, July 19, 1973
- Teen-age Guru Has The 'Knowledge' THE FLORENCE MORNING NEWS SUNDAY, JULY 20, 1973
- Revered Guru, 15, Brings His Mission Here The New York Times, July 28, 1973
- Guru's Peace Talk Called 'Fantastic' By Disciples, 'Unconvincing' by Others The New York Times July 30 1973
Controversy raised a very ugly head over the near murder of Pat Halley who threw a shaving cream pie into God's face
- No Way To Treat A Guru The Detroit Free Press, August, 1973
- Guru Maharaj Ji Says: 'All I Promise Is Peace' Harvard Crimson, August 7, 1973
- Guru gets Testimonial And Some Pie In The Face The New York Times, August 8, 1973
- 15-Year-Old Guru Slapped in Face by Shaving Cream Pie The Los Angeles Times, August 8, 1973
- GURU SET FOR HONOR, GETS PIE IN FACE INDEPENDENT (AM) PRESS-TELEGRAM (PM) Long Beach, Calif., Wed., August 8, 1973
- Guru Lathered by Non-Believer THE DAILY COURIER, CONNELLSVILLE PA. Wednesday, August 8, 1973
- Daily Review of … People THE DAILY REVIEW, Haywood, Calif., Saturday, August 11, 1973
- Guru Pie-Thrower Seriously Beaten The Los Angeles Times, August 15, 1973
- Guru Followers Beat Pie-Tosser The Pittsburgh Press, Aug. 16, 1973
- Hurler of Pie at Guru Is Beaten The New York Times, August 17, 1973
- Guru Wants To Help Sun News - Las Cruces, New Mexico - Wednesday, August 22, 1973
Controversy and derision soon began once it became known that the guru who offered perfect peace and bliss had an ulcer
- What Hath the Guru Wrought? Chicago Tribune; Sept 2, 1973
- Fast Pace Hits Teenage Guru THE DAILY TIMES Salisbury, Md., Mon., Sept. 3, 1973
- PEOPLE MAKING TODAY'S NEWS THE DAILY TIMES Salisbury, Md., Mon., Sept. 4, 1973
- Perfect ulcer THE TIMES Tuesday September 4 1973
- The 'Perfect Master' from India has an ulcer THE STARS AND STRIPES Tuesday, September 4, 1973
- Guru Maharaj Ji has ulcer Tues., Sept 4, 1973 GREELEY (Colo.) TRIBUNE
- Stress on Guru gives him a big executive ulcer Chronicle-Telegram Elysia, O., Thursday, October 18, 1973
Unfortunately for his self-esteem, many articles were highly critical of Prem Rawat, understandably so.
- Guru Keeps Track Of Subjects With Computer GREAT BEND TRIBUNE, Great Bend, Kansas Sunday, September 23, 1973
- Guru, 15, Gives 'Light' Lives the Good Life Los Angeles Times; Sep 23, 1973
- A BOY GURU AND HIS CASH WINNIPEG FREE PRESS, Tuesday, September 25, 1973
- Casting some shadows on the movement of Divine Light THE TIMES Saturday September 23 1973
- Divine Light disciple to speak here GREELEY (Colo.) TRIBUNE Fri., Oct. 2, 1973
- Letter to the Editor From Mr Glen Whittaker THE TIMES Friday October 12 1973
- Singing Along With the Guru The Harvard Crimson Friday 29th October 1973
He was interviewed by the major German newspaper, Der Spiegel (The Mirror)
- I am a Peace Bomb Der Spiegel - October 8, 1973
- Ich bin eine Friedensbombe Der Spiegel - October 8, 1973
The irony implicit in this headline was still unknown, except to the DLM insiders who already were deceiving the media and the premies by withholding the truth about the so-called "Holy Family".
- THE GURU WHO MINDS HIS MOTHER THE STARS AND STRIPES Sunday, November 4, 1973
Millenium 73, "the most significant event in the history of humanity"
- The Pop Life New York Times, October 26, 1973
- Astrodome Loses Beer Odor to Mystic Incense The Los Angeles Times November 9, 1973
- Following the Guru To the Astrodome Washington Post November 9, 1973
- Guru's Followers Cheer 'Millenium' in Festivities at Astrodome The New York Times November 12, 1973
- Maharaj Ji: The Selling of a Guru, 1973 Los Angeles Times; Nov 13, 1973
- Guru Maharaj Ji: Spiritual Fascism THE LOS ANGELES FREE PRESS November 16, 1973
- The Guru Season is About to Begin Sydney Morning Herald, November 16, 1973
- God is in his astrodome, all's right with the world Village Voice, Nov 22, 1973
- The Enigma '73: Guru Maharaj Ji St Petersburg Times, Nov 24, 1973
- Houston's Version of Peace in Our Time Los Angeles Times; Nov 25, 1973
- Oz in the Astrodome The New York Times, December 9, 1973
- Destroyed hopes The New York Times, December 30, 1973
But the most newsworthy aspect of Prem Rawat's mission was the membership and outspokeness of Rennie Davis.
Rennie was quite straightforward: "I would cross the planet on my hands and knees to touch his toe"
- Meditate, not Agitate INDEPENDENT (AM) PRESS-TELEGRAM (PM) Long Beach, Calif., Sun., April 24, 1973
- Rennie Davis, Antiwar Activist The New York Times, May 6, 1973
- Zippies cool to Rennie after trip to India May 13, 1973 Sunday Post-Crescent, Appletown-Neenah-Menoshah. Wis.
- MAHARAJ JI DEVOTEE: Rennie Davis Finds New Cause --- a Guru Los Angeles Times; May 19, 1973
- Looks Like a Good Idea THE DAILY TIMES-NEWS Monday Afternoon, May 28, 1973
Rennie predicted that 1973 was the year that the USA will recognise Prem Rawat as the living perfect master.
Well, at least they recognized him for what he is …
- People Daily Review Hayward, Calif., Monday July 30, 1973.
- Greatest show on earth The Ubyssey, newspaper of the Alma Mater Society of the University of British Columbia, October 18, 1973.
Two articles about Divine Light Mission in The Living Daylights, an Australian counter culture newspaper
- And Then He Blissed Me interview with Rennie Davis by Australian premie, Michael McDonald, November 20-26, 1973
- Stranger in the Light november 27-december 3, 1973
- Article About DLM and John Hand unknown newspaper, 1973.